What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor disk temperature with "WMI HDD Health" sensor?

Votes:

Hello,

I want to read the temperatures of my HDD's with PRTG. I found out it can be done with the "WMI HDD Health" sensor. I have added this sensor to my device, it found my 2 harddisks, but i am getting values out of the sensor that don't make any sense to me

For example: the channel "194: Temperature Celsius (#)" reports the value: "64 #".

How can i get the sensor to report the actual temperature in degrees Celsius? I have looked on Google for about an hour, but i can't find the answer.

hdd health temperature wmi

Created on Jan 4, 2013 9:10:00 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm very sorry, but unfortunately we cannot give a definite answer on this one, as each drive vendor seems to store the values there slightly different, please see: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/smartmontools/wiki/FAQ#Whyismydisktemperaturesreportedbysmartdas150Celsius

best regards.

Created on Jan 4, 2013 2:52:28 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hmmm....

It can't be that hard to give normalized values i think? If small programs like Open Hardware Monitor, CPU-Z etc can do it.... why isn't it possible in PRTG ?

Created on Jan 4, 2013 3:08:01 PM

Votes:

Those programs are running on the hardware directly, that makes the difference.

Created on Jan 6, 2013 4:24:04 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.