What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI consumes a large amount of memory on my Windows Server 2008 R2 – what can I do?

Votes:

When monitoring via WMI I experience an increased usage of memory under Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2. What can I do?

memory memory-leaks microsoft server-2008r2 win32-service windows windows-7 wmi

Created on Nov 30, 2012 2:07:02 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 30, 2012 2:38:14 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article refers to PRTG Network Monitor 7 or later

Avoiding Memory Leaks Caused by the “Win32_Service” WMI Class

On computers which are running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 sometimes Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) leaks a lot of memory. The memory usage continually increases, and the system performance decreases. The leaks occur when an application or a service uses the Win32_Service class frequently.

This issue is caused by some allocated memory that is not freed when using the Win32_Service WMI class.

Created on Nov 30, 2012 2:08:34 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 30, 2012 2:39:45 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

I am encountering this exact same issue, but the hotfix mentioned did not fix it. Currently winmgmt.exe is slowly using more and more virtual memory. On top of hotfix KB98314, we also applied hotfix KB977357.

We are using Windows Server 2008R2. Are there any other potential solutions you guys have come across I could try?

Thank you!

Created on Sep 11, 2014 2:27:18 PM

Votes:

Please also try this hotfix to see if it makes a difference. If this doesn't help, then you may have to contact Microsoft to see if they have another solution.

Created on Sep 12, 2014 11:47:20 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.