What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Anticipated Server Failure

Votes:

Hello,

What should I anticipate for my core server failure?

I intend to have another server standing by exactly like the failed unit waiting to go into service if need be. I am currently backing up my PRTG database,configuration and history every day to another storage platform.

I have currently 1000 sensors distributed amongst 20 or more remote probes.

Do I simply reinstall my current PRTG version on the new server, migrate the database and change the network IPs of the NICs to match the old failed server?

What else should I know about this server plan? Will my history be ok? Will the remote probes buffer their info? Will they automatically reconnect?

What else should I anticipate?

Thanks!

database prtg restoring server

Created on Jul 9, 2012 7:50:00 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
you might have a look at this article which describes in detail how to move a PRTG installation from one server to another and what to take in account during this process.
Best regards

Created on Jul 10, 2012 9:17:33 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.