What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

RDP error 10060 connection timed out socket error

Votes:

Hello,

I have a physical host with 5 virtual servers on it. My probe is on one of the virstual servers.

2 of them work perfectly but 3 of them give the following error for the RDP sensor (all 5 have the RDP sensor):

Connection timed out Socket Error # 10060 Connection timed out. (socket error # 10060)

One of them is our DC (which has the remote probe) and he also gives the following error for his DNS sensor:

Connection reset by peer Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. (socket error # 10054)

All the other sensors (disk space, memory CPU, services , etc) work fine.

Kind regards,
Wim

dns prtg9 rdp socket-error-#10060

Created on Jul 5, 2012 11:47:57 AM

Last change on Oct 30, 2018 9:57:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

this seems to be a firewall or something similar blocking the connections. As the error #10060 means that the target did not even respond to the connection attempt, and on #10054 the connection was deliberately dropped by the target.

best regards.

Created on Jul 5, 2012 2:32:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

1 virtual server and 1 physical server that won't show the RDP.

For the others i change to IP to the hostname or the hostname to the IP and that did the trick.

Created on Jul 6, 2012 10:39:58 AM

Votes:

I know this is an old post, but it was one of the first posts to pop up in a google search of the socket error I was getting. Posting here may help others.

Mine wasn't a firewall issue as my client firewalls are disabled for domain and private networks. I did, however, get to thinking that it was a DNS issue because the 2 machines I had this error on were either newly added replacements so with same hostnames and the DHCP server gave out a new IP address that wasn't updated in DNS AND/OR a new networking hardware was installed and the same thing would happen with DHCP. I compared the IP address in the DNS entry for those hostnames to the DHCP table and I was right. The IPs were different. I updated DNS records and the sensors almost immediately went green (UP).

I prefer to use hostnames instead of IPs, but this would be a good example of why PRTG is better off using IP addresses rather than hostnames. There's my 2¢ mark on the world!

Created on Aug 19, 2020 8:07:40 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.