What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL Server 2008 cluster and sensor values

Votes:

Hello

We have a two node (sql1 and sql2) active/active cluster (Windows 2008 R2) each running two SQL instances. PRTG is installed on both nodes, the master node is sql1. The cluster is named sqlcluster.

Trying to monitor these four SQL 2008 R2 instances, I have added the a "WMI Microsoft SQL Server 2008" sensor and selected all four SQL instances. The sensor is added under a device which points to the sqlcluster DNS name.

Is this correct? The two sensors monitoring the instances on sql1 reads values fine (for example user connections), but the two sensors monitoring the instances on sql2 does not report any errors, but they both return 0 for all the values.

Any idea what is causing this?

clustering sql wmi

Created on Jul 4, 2012 10:11:36 AM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

what happens if you try adding separate devices for each of the individual physical nodes and then setup the sensors there? Do then all work?

best regards.

Created on Jul 4, 2012 2:25:12 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I add a device pointing at sql2, it receives the correct values using WMI for the instances on that node. It's good, but it fails in case of a failover. Then I would manually have to change the monitored instances on the nodes.

The way I see it, the device point at the cluster (sqlcluster in my case) should query both nodes and use the value from the one responding. Or maybe I'm just missing some thing - any ideas?

Created on Jul 4, 2012 6:07:45 PM

Votes:

Well, it was supposed at least for a test to troubleshoot.

Created on Jul 4, 2012 6:14:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Anything else I can do to test it? Is this supposed to work, or is it something that is unsupported? Can you please provide some details? The last comment was very short...

Created on Jul 9, 2012 8:41:21 AM

Votes:

Well, if you are not trying to troubleshoot, by for example adding the individual physical nodes as devices, and then trying (for a test) to monitor them with individual sensors, it's kind of hard to help.

Created on Jul 9, 2012 10:02:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I did that, and I explained it in my previous comment. Addind the physical node makes me able to monitor the instances running on that node. So that works. But if one node fails, I'm not able to monitor the instances that failed over to another node.

Created on Jul 9, 2012 10:04:04 AM

Votes:

Hello again. We are wondering if you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue? We're considering buying the product, but not unless we can monitor our SQL cluster.

We really hope that we can solve this issue.

Thank in advance.

Created on Jul 18, 2012 1:48:00 PM

Votes:

Any suggestions on how we can debug it?

Created on Aug 20, 2012 6:54:28 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.