What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

After backup the database, can we delete older records?

Votes:

Hello there,

We are running out of diskspace on the drive where PRTG is installed. I had read the following:

https://kb.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/5023-running-out-of-diskspace-what-can-i-do

Unfortunately, we don't want any automatic purging, but would like to backup and delete the older entries in the database. By the way, I cannot seem to find "Extras -> Options -> System" mentioned in the above link.

Note that I had read about this page too: https://www.paessler.com/knowledgebase/en/topic/523-how-do-i-backup-all-data-and-configuration-of-my-prtg-installation

Please advise soonest.

SAM

archive database prtg

Created on Jun 26, 2012 7:46:13 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

You can certainly delete old historic data entries, but bear in mind these entries will no longer be available for graphs, tables, or reports. The best practice in such a case would be to stop PRTG, back up the necessary directories, delete the same, then restart PRTG.

Created on Jun 26, 2012 9:25:12 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Are you saying that I cannot archive them offline, and if needed, import back into PRTG in the future?

Btw, we wish to do partial archival, not total archival. How to go about this?

Created on Jun 26, 2012 9:27:34 AM

Votes:

If you restore the database as it was, at a later time, you would of course once again have access to the historic data. In case of a partial back up, you would only delete the directories up to the point in time where you wish to retain your historic data.

Created on Jun 26, 2012 9:31:18 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Will you be able to list all the steps for backup/delete partial data, and restoration? I am new to this and needed detailed guideline.

Created on Jun 26, 2012 9:34:46 AM

Votes:

I'm afraid there are no specific steps except those already mentioned. Stop PRTG, delete the directories in case (these are named according to the date of the monitored data, as outlined under How and where does PRTG store its data?), then start PRTG anew. To restore the directories, merely stop PRTG, copy the backed up directories into the database directory, and restart PRTG.

Created on Jun 26, 2012 9:39:57 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I'm trying to use this method to restore historic data from sensors which were part of a group that were acidentily deleted.

I have restored the configuration file and the sensors now exist and are collecting data. I have also restored all missing files from the C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor location (I assume that they are purged when the sensors are deleted).

My backup is a few days old so there will be two days where there are no databses for the deleted sensors but apart from that should this work?

I have also renamed the PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat file in the hope that this will trigger rebuilding of the historic data when viewed in the web UI.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 12:55:09 PM

Votes:

Please notice that you will need the dataset files that are located under \Monitoring Database in the data directory. If you recalculate the data cache (and the respective files are available in the monitoring database directory) you should be able to discern historic data except for those days for which no data is available. Notice that the easiest way to recalculate the data cache is using the option under the "Memory Usage" tab of the Server Administration tool.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 2:09:05 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.