What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How configure to monitor latency to an external IP address

Votes:

Forgive me in advance as I'm not a power user. I downloaded PRTG Network Monitor and simply want to monitor latency from my workstation to an external IP address. I'm not quite following how to configure this? Thanks!

configuration ip latency

Created on Jun 19, 2012 11:06:32 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello, The 'Latency Monitoring' is used by Ping Sensors. In order to perform latency monitoring PRTG sends an “ICMP echo request” (also known as PING) to the device and records the time it takes to receive the answer (“ICMP echo answer”)."). And if you look at the numbers, i.e. response times, from your ping sensors, you will see the latency.

Best Regards.

Created on Jun 20, 2012 9:33:24 AM by  Thomas Wormser [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

well, you could use Ping-Sensors for a start. And if you look at the numbers, i.e. response times, from your ping sensors, you will see the latency.

For detailed information about the ping sensor please have a look at our manual: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/ping_sensor.htm

Best regards.

Created on Jun 20, 2012 9:33:47 AM by  Bernd Wolf (100) 2 1

Votes:

Hi, we normally use ping sensors for latency monitoring to our up-streams from our network. A few days ago, I found out that one of the latency graph went high. I run ping from my laptop to that public ip, the latency was normal but only on the PRTG ping sensor, it is showing high latency.

From the same PRTG server, I am running ping sensors to other up-streams and they all seem normal except for one.

What could be the issue?

Thanks

Created on Jul 11, 2017 3:21:15 AM

Votes:

Dear heinaungfiji

For ping, PRTG uses the Windows API. That means you should see the same values from the command line ping. Please reproduce the command line ping on the computer which runs the PRTG probe which operates the ping sensor in question.

Created on Jul 11, 2017 12:51:00 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.