What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring individual Windows 7 workstations

Votes:

I have read through much of the information here so I apologize if I missed the answer to my seemingly easy question. I want to monitor bandwidth usage of all the Windows 7 workstations in our workgroup. How do I go about doing this? I am a complete novice so be gentle with me.

I would also like to drill down even further and see what applications and websites each workstation is using that is taking up the bandwidth but I was told that was not possible. Is that correct? I would think since all my workstations were auto-discovered, there would be some way to break down the flow of information.

Thank you!

bandwidth-monitor sensor windows-7

Created on Jun 7, 2012 9:15:28 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

The direct way to monitor Windows systems would be using WMI. SNMP is also possible but, seeing that certain Windows systems reconfigure the index of the OIDs in case, we would highly recommend using SNMP Informant in case you would want to monitor the Windows system using SNMP.

As regards discerning the actual usage of individual machines, please have a look at How do I discern excessive bandwidth usage with PRTG?

Created on Jun 11, 2012 11:35:27 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Aug 27, 2013 7:58:31 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the reply! I have set up SNMP Informant and that gives me a little more information that I wanted. I have read that article but I did not see where it answered my main question of being able to see what applications and websites each workstation is using that is taking up the bandwidth. Did I miss the answer in that article? Is that even possible with PRTG? I appreciate your help!

Created on Jun 11, 2012 8:44:43 PM

Votes:

Using packet sniffer or flow sensors, it is possible to discern the IP addresses of the workstations using up the bandwidth. This can be done either by having a look at the Top Lists or by adding filters for the individual IP addresses and then comparing the data provided by the same. Details as to filter parameters can be found under What filter rules can be used for custom Packet Sniffing or Flow (NetFlow/sFlow/jFlow) sensors?

Created on Jun 12, 2012 8:43:46 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Dec 2, 2021 9:25:34 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.