What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor file that changes daily

Votes:

I have a server that creates a VHD file every night and sends it to another file server. I have set up a file sensor to monitor that file. However, I would like to monitor that the file is created every day, and get an alert if it is more than 24 hours old. Is there an easy way to do this?

date file monitor vhd

Created on May 31, 2012 3:39:05 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sorry, I was on the wrong track. It should be possible by using a Folder Sensor, and then setting an Error Limit on the channel "Newest File" (please bear in mind that this limit needs to be set in seconds), which will set the sensor into an error-state if the newest file is older than 24hours.

Created on May 31, 2012 5:38:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid this can only be done by using a self-written Custom Exe Sensor.

best regards.

Created on May 31, 2012 5:26:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There is no way to do a negative change trigger? eg. If x does not change, send notification.

Created on May 31, 2012 5:33:34 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Sorry, I was on the wrong track. It should be possible by using a Folder Sensor, and then setting an Error Limit on the channel "Newest File" (please bear in mind that this limit needs to be set in seconds), which will set the sensor into an error-state if the newest file is older than 24hours.

Created on May 31, 2012 5:38:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, that did exactly what I needed it to do!

Created on May 31, 2012 7:53:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.