What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

VCenter 5 sensor not working - no channel

Votes:

I have 2 hosts ESX5i with HA enabled. I'd like to monitor virtual machines connecting to vCenter but when i add a VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) sensor and set proper credentials, i can see all running VMs with status Down, Last message OK and Last Result=no channel, while stopped VMs are in status Up, Last Message= OK (The Virtual Machine is powered Off), and channels are listed. Adding the same sensor to ESX host all is working well.

soap vcenter vmware

Created on May 29, 2012 3:29:47 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

which version of PRTG are you using?

best regards

Created on May 29, 2012 5:08:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Re-installed some days ago. Ver. 12.2.1.1972 (autoupdate cannot download 1973)

Created on May 30, 2012 7:15:15 AM

Votes:

can you try auto update again? we released a new version yesterday.

Created on May 30, 2012 8:50:33 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Done manually, autoupdate issue time out error. Now i have version 12.2.1.1988 but the problem has not gone.

Created on May 30, 2012 9:59:00 AM

Votes:

hallo, the VM Virtual machine sensors do have a setting to ignore powered off state of the VM. (this is the default setting)

So the sensor will recognize that the VM is present on the system and therefore be green.

If the VM was never powered on since it was created no channels for the sensor will be created since there was no data coming in for the VM yet.

If power up the VM the channels for the sensor will get created as soon as data is comming in.

Created on Jun 4, 2012 8:55:08 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is true if a connect the VM Sensor directly to VM host (and i confirm it works well) but fails when i connect it to vCenter. If i create e new VM and power up, the sensor detect the VM but cannot detect any channel. If i stop it, the sensor become green a channel list appear. I power up again the VM, the sensor receive no data.

Created on Jun 4, 2012 9:40:20 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.