What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Brocade monitoring

Votes:

Dear Support,

I would like to add some fiber-channel switches that are into a HP Blade enclosure to see their bandwidth usage.

I used the autodiscovery and I got the interfaces, so far so good,

But I read on Brocade communities that the interfaces values have to be multiplied by 4 to have the exact numbers, should I change something or the values autodiscovered are already fine?

Thanks

brocade prtg snmp

Created on May 29, 2012 9:06:56 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

PRTG does not multiply traffic counter numbers internally. All devices are handled the same with SNMP Traffic Sensors, being it HP, Dell or Brocade (etc.) devices. So if this multiplication times 4 is necessary, you have to use the Sensor Factory Sensor.

best regards.

Created on May 29, 2012 2:04:16 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for answer,

Is there a way to know which OID as been used for the interfaces autodiscovered?

Thanks

Created on May 29, 2012 2:06:08 PM

Votes:

Hi again,

I'm using now a factory sensor,

By default my values are shown with kbit/s

that means the results out of my calculation are multiplied via 1000 ? (in this case raw data is bits/s) ?

Or this is just a unit but no conversion is done?

Thanks for the clarification

Created on Jun 19, 2012 9:18:28 AM

Votes:

Hi,
With the [ ] you are setting the unit NAME not the unit KIND.

If you are setting no unit NAME with [] PRTG uses the unit KIND of the source sensors if they fit together. This is e.g. "Traffic" or "Volume". Then the PRTG setting for Traffic display (e.g. kbyte) is used to calculate the display value (divide or multiply). You can change the display (kbyte, mbyte etc) in these settings.

In contrast if you set the unit NAME in the [] the unit KIND of the sensor is changed to "custom" and the NAME of the unit is changed to the provided string. So no calculations are done anymore and the raw values are displayed.

If you use the [] to change the name of the used unit you have to do all conversions yourself since PRTG can not now what the unit is meant to do.
Best regards

Created on Jun 26, 2012 5:49:49 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.