What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

API Bulk duplicate object (group, device)

Votes:

Hi all.

I would like to fill-in my PRTG database with about 3 devices/branch site x 800 sites by considering I know the parameters below of me devices : - IP address, location - device type - snmp v2c community for Cisco devices

I'm surprised that importing device list from external file (like CSV) is not possible with PRTG combined with template device; it would be very appreciate.

however, the only way I'm trying to implement is using the API functions like "duplicate group" and "duplicate device". I found a tip in Excel to identify the latest ID declared in database an build an URL for duplicate a object : it works.

however, could you please tell me how can I automate : - declare 800 group (child_group) from an over to identify my branch_site location - declare 3 devices in each of 800 group by duplicate device. in other words, I don't want to parse my excel sheet that contain the build URLs to parse in PRTG manually to duplicate 1 by 1 devices or groups.

PRTG support team : could explain clearly how you consider declare in mass devices list for international company with several branch offices equipments to declare in PRTG and order by location

Thanks by advance.

bulk import snmpv2c

Created on May 22, 2012 6:07:30 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

even though it might take a bit of time, I would simply use the option to Auto-Discover a list of IPs (here, copy in the IPs from your CSV) and then use the Management-Tab with Drag&Drop and quickly sort the devices into the groups per location once they are discovered.

best regards.

Created on May 23, 2012 11:54:50 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Lindner,

I know the auto-discovery feature, but the main problem is to fill-in devices in different groups. For instance, I would like to organize my overall view like subdidrectory architecture. example :

group WAN MPLS
        group xxx - site 1
                 device 1
                 device 2
                 device 3
       group yyy - site 2
                 device 1
                 device 2
                 device 3
      etc....

and I have up to 800 branch office sites to fill like this.

If I use auto-discovery features, how can I organise my discovered devices in its own group after ? ==> this is my problem.

I would prefer to : - make a template group with templates devices - clone this model for each IP devices and attribute the correct template destination

This is the reason why, I was looking with API URLs duplicate function to clone group and devices: step 1: duplicate empty group by using /api/duplicateobject.htm?id=id_of_group_to_clone&name=new_name&targetid=id_of_target_group

step 2: duplicate devices of a group in destination group by using /api/duplicateobject.htm?id=id_of_device_to_clone&name=new_name&host=new_hostname_or_ip&targetid=id_of_target_group

but I stuck on how to automate injection of 800 URL's in PRTG server. Which is the best method to fill-in PRTG 3x800 devices ordered in 800 groups ?

Finally, I understand the method you suggest, but for information, MPLS devices discovered have an complicated hostname specific on MPLS operator not espacially known from Manpower (us the client). I don't think it should be the more appropriate method. regards.

Created on May 23, 2012 12:10:47 PM

Last change on May 23, 2012 12:50:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

You can look into the setobjectproperty-API Call this can change certain object properties, such as device name/IP/hostname etc.. I'm afraid there simply are no other options, try it with the API-Calls, or use the Auto-Discovery in a few simple groups and then manage the devices into the actual groups the shall be into.

Created on May 23, 2012 12:54:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Ok thanks for your reply, but could you please give me some indication about how to automate URLs injection (API-calls) ? I don't want to copy/paste each built URL (within ID of object) from excel sheet to web browser PRTG home page, and hint "ENTER" for each (ie: up to 800 times).

Thanks for your suggestion.

Created on May 23, 2012 1:09:55 PM

Votes:

Sorry, but we do not have such guides, you will have to develop this 'script' yourself.

Created on May 23, 2012 1:18:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

we have written a tool named „PRTG Explorer“ (NOT FOR FREE) to import datarecords automatically which are available in Excel. Additionally the PRTG-Database could be analysed.

For more information please contact [email protected].

Created on May 25, 2012 12:45:41 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.