What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Trend Lines in Reports

Votes:

I am interested in creating capacity planning reports for items such as disk space. Is there a plan to add trend lines to reports to use for forecasting? At the moment all I can think to do is export to Excel and perform the analysis there.

capacity reports trend

Created on Apr 6, 2010 1:50:58 PM

18 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Ismael,

I'm afraid currently there are no such plans to implement trend lines for near future releases.

Best Regards.

Created on Apr 6, 2010 3:51:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Trend lines for graphs would be a nice feature even if they can't predict the future.

Is it possible to creating a graph map object with filter_type="wmidiskspace"?

Created on Apr 9, 2010 2:50:45 PM

Votes:

Although four years late, I would also like to have this function. My customer is asking for this information and exporting 300 odd disks is not fun. Do we now have this option?

Created on Sep 23, 2014 10:00:54 AM

Votes:

We do have this on the wish list still. The requests have not been "enough" to give trending lines a high priority so far I'm afraid. But please consider your vote counted, we'll keep it on the list of course.

Created on Sep 23, 2014 11:34:15 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

There's a tool called PRTGPluginsGUI in the developement to enable trending in PRTG.

Have a look at this at:

http://www.prtgplugins.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124&Itemid=44

Apply for the testing program to see if it would solve your problem...

Best Regards, Olli Jokinen

Created on Nov 27, 2014 8:37:18 AM

Votes:

Hello,

I rather don't start testing the trend tool but I would be really interested to use trend lines on our sensors.

So here is another request for adding the trend function to the paessler software!

Thanks.

Koen Terwijn ALL IT Rooms Datacenter Engineer

Created on Sep 9, 2015 1:55:41 PM

Votes:

The prtgplugins.com website looks outdated, anyone still using one of it's products and receiving support? And/or has trending been upvoted so it is on the roadmap now for PRTG before, lets say, summer/Q3 2016? Thanks in advance!

Created on Dec 4, 2015 12:28:41 PM

Votes:

I support the wishlist request for trending !

Created on Jan 20, 2016 1:49:31 PM

Votes:

+1 for me too. We really can use this for monitoring out NetApp volumes.

Created on Jan 26, 2016 2:18:46 PM

Votes:

While it is still on the PRTG wishlist, you might want to have a look at the PredictValue sensor.
The sensor predicts the future value of an existing sensor, based on the values from the last 60 (default) days.

Created on Feb 4, 2016 3:33:49 PM

Votes:

+ 1 for this functionality

Created on Jun 20, 2016 2:45:39 PM

Votes:

+1 for this functionality (since I can't thumbs up)

Created on Oct 20, 2016 2:37:28 PM

Votes:

You do not really want to just show a trend line, you want to have it as a sensor / channel data, and report and alarm on it.

I would still consider this beta, but i have been using it for a year. I have made a function that predicts when a value of a sensor/channel will reach a given value.

The most useful case is free disk space on a SAN. now you can graph and report (days left until full) and alarm based on it.

I do not have this documented very well, but have a look here, look out for the function Get-prtgSensorChannelPrediction

For a given Sensor / Channel Name, you can predict when that sensor will get to a certain value ($Limit), buy sampling the last value, and the value at (Today – $AgeOfFirstSampleInDays) you can predict when it will reach its $Limit.

Returns the number of days till the limit is reached.

Created on Oct 21, 2016 12:33:32 AM

Last change on Oct 21, 2016 7:17:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

+1 for this functionality (since I also can't thumbs up)

Created on Dec 12, 2016 7:52:35 PM

Votes:

+1 it would really be a great addition.

Created on May 26, 2017 1:37:09 PM

Votes:

+1 for trending

Both in reports as in Graphs (with the option to set thresholds, notifications, etc. on actual & predicted values: if threshold predicted to be reached in x period, then notification). Also it would be nice to choose between trendlines. Those trendlines could be calculated as: - avg value last x datapoints - avg value of x% of current graph time line (x being variable, and/or multiple settings and thus multiple trendlines) Choice of trendline to show could be: - slider per channel (only one trendline per sensor can be shown) - fixed settings (checkboxes) per channel (multiple checkboxes checked=multiple trendlines shown in graph)

Created on Jun 7, 2018 8:58:31 AM

Votes:

Hi All,

Appreciate that this isn't quite the same as trends on reports but, it looks like PRTG have an open feature request for predicting when a sensor such as disk space, will reach capacity.

For me, this would suffice in place of a trend line and enable us to have predictions on when we will hit capacity and we can therefore plan in work for additional disk space etc. BEFORE we get to a critical point.

If this would be useful to you, please upvote it at this page https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/83982-sensor-prediction and hopefully Paessler will implement it soon!

Created on Jun 18, 2019 1:12:24 PM

Votes:

Another vote

Created on Apr 9, 2020 9:03:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.