What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Sensor for String Data

Votes:

I attempting to monitor our Blade Server. There are some OIDs that return data such as

999W

or

37% of Maximum

What is the best way to setup a custom sensor? I would like the ability to graph the power usage and fan speeds. I have attempted to use both Custom SNMP sensors but neither give the results I'm looking for.

I would like to show this as a channel, as seeing the response time for these isn't that helpful.

Cj

sensor snmp snmpcustomstringsensor

Created on Mar 29, 2012 3:19:37 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid in the moment such "string" counters are problematic to monitor in PRTG, because it's not possible to "extract" the number and graph it, set error-limits on it, etc.. But this will be possible in future release this year still. Please bear with us.

best regards.

Created on Mar 29, 2012 4:56:15 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'll be looking forward to the future release. Keep up the great work!

Cj

Created on Mar 29, 2012 5:01:31 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.