What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG’s web interface behind Loadbalancer

Votes:

Hi, I use an PRTG-Cluster with 2 Nodes. Is it possible to use the web Interface behind an loadbalancer?

Regards Michael

loadbalancer prtg-cluster web-interface

Created on Mar 28, 2012 9:32:01 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hi Michael,
whyt exactly do you want to do? Do yo want to distribute the traffic with a loadbalancer to the different nodes?
If so, please note that the web interface of the Failover Node is read only and will only show the sensors which are placed in the Cluster Probe.
Best regards

Created on Mar 28, 2012 11:54:47 AM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I´ve created severall maps and I like to have an HA solution for viewing these maps. There´ll wil be only read-only views.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 12:44:59 PM

Votes:

Hi,
if you switch to the GetHTML tab of your Map you should see all URLs which can provide the Map. We tested this right now on a 5 nodes cluster and it worked perfectly.
Please bear in mind that if the map should be shown on a cluster node every object of the map must be accessible for the node.
Means you can only use objects in the maps which reside under the cluster probe.
Best regards

Created on Mar 28, 2012 12:52:36 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

My setup looks the same as described in first post: 2 nodes (active & failover) and a load balancer. But if the primary node goes down -maybe Windows updates- the failover node should be presented to the users. This could be done via the Load Balancerbut what to check directly? I've seen the URL /api/public/testlogin.htm , but that just states "OK" or "NOTOK". That is no HTTP statuscode that the KEMP LoadMaster can process. Is there any other (undocumented) API function to use?

Created on Aug 3, 2017 8:03:55 AM

Votes:

SecPRTG, you could just check the normal login page (login.htm), if it's not available, the according node should be down.

Created on Aug 3, 2017 11:25:47 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hmmm, when i try to look at /login.htm --> not found /api/public/login.htm --> not found And I want to switch to the failover if the primary node is just starting, right when an update occured.

Created on Aug 4, 2017 11:57:21 AM

Votes:

What do you mean with "the normal login page (login.htm)" ? If I try to test /login.htm" I get an 404-Error "Not Found" Same for "/api/public/login.htm" Do you mean "index.htm"? That doesn't solve my problem as this page is shown already when the PRTG-Core-Server-Service starts. And that lasts 15-20 minutes. So in this time I want to show the failover node which should be running as the temporary master node.

Created on Aug 7, 2017 7:28:55 AM

Votes:

I apologize, yes index.htm works just as well. I'm afraid there is no checks built into PRTG for load balancer support at the state of the Core Server starting.

Created on Aug 7, 2017 7:46:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sad, but that schould be possible to serve the way as /api/public/testlogin.htm but without login and with HTTP-Status codes.

With /api/public/testlogin.htm I have to have an open session to get "OK" as the answer - else I get HTTP 200 with "NOTOK" even if the server is running fine.

Created on Aug 7, 2017 10:22:28 AM

Votes:

Currently we do not plan any changes there for loadbalancer support I'm afraid, so it will have to be using the login there I'm afraid.

Created on Aug 8, 2017 7:34:05 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.