What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Have a "down" sensor not show down or error.

Votes:

I have setup VMware's Distributed Power Management on my virtual hosts, which means the servers power up or down based on the workload, so it is to be expected that some hosts will be down at certain times. Yet, I still want to monitor them for informational purposes. So is there a way to have a sensor be down, but not considered down or in a red state. I want it to be more information, like a status change than down.

Currently, I set the PING sensor to "Show Down (Acknowledged)" but it still shows it as being in an error state. I would prefer it to be more informational than down.

down informational sensor

Created on Mar 28, 2012 4:55:42 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

the only way is to use an HTTP Notification to "auto-acknowledge" the sensor if it's not a ping sensor which directly offers an auto-acknowledging. Acknowledged is the only other possible state apart from down.

best regards.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 12:48:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

If it is only a ping sensor you are using here, you might want to consider using the PingWarning sensor that goes into a warning state if no reply is received.

Regards,

Created on Mar 28, 2012 12:57:40 PM

Votes:

This is a feature we would also like - we have many sensors which we want to monitoring their availability but not be in an error state when they go down. I've seen quite a few other requests for this too so it would be a nice feature to add to the roadplan

Created on Mar 30, 2012 10:01:24 AM

Votes:

I concur on this feature addition, we send emails out of PRTG to the customer and when they see a sensor is "down" they think something is wrong on their server, router, etc. But in my case I am monitoring the Exchange Datastore and communication has failed getting to the server via Powershell and I would like the sensor to transistion to a unknown state.

I would like to see communication issues cause sensors to go "down" if they are related to connectivity test like ssh, ping, port check, etc... Does this make sense?

This is my reply to get this feature added to the product.

Created on Jan 8, 2014 12:27:19 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.