What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I change the Channel information for multiple sensors?

Votes:

I wanted to change the channels information for multiple sensors, or at least change the defaul config for a new sensor. I wanted, for example, to disable the "sum" channel for all sensors.

change multi-edit prtg sensor

Created on Mar 24, 2010 3:08:41 PM

Last change on Mar 25, 2010 8:21:02 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The latest reply is over a year old :) Meanwhile, you're able to set limits for multiple sensors at once via multi edit. To do so, proceed with the following steps:

1. Go to Sensors > By Type > [A-Z]
  2. Select the sensor type you want to modify
  3. Select them all by ticking the checkbox in the top right corner of the table
  4. Click the small wrench icon that appeared and go to the channel tab.
  5. Now select the channel you want to modify and edit the limit settings accordingly

To only get sensors within a certain group, you have to use tags. Add the groups name as tag to the group and then filter the table with it (enter it in the "Tagged with" field). Then only sensors of the type within this group will be shown.

Created on Apr 29, 2015 7:53:33 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 29, 2015 7:57:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

26 Replies

Votes:

I'm afraid there is no multi-edit option for sensor channels.

Created on Mar 24, 2010 3:09:49 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

How about changing the default config for new sensors?

Created on Mar 25, 2010 2:05:35 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid the defaults are hard-coded.

Created on Mar 25, 2010 4:46:42 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

ok so there you have two suggestions for future improvements... :) Just trying to understand it as I am about to purchase a unlimited license (Int'l reseller) and I am trying to figure out the workload for the initial setup

Created on Mar 25, 2010 5:44:07 PM

Votes:

multi edit for channels is already on the task list. The default configuration of sensors will probably not be made flexible.

Created on Mar 26, 2010 8:34:17 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am eagarly waiting for this function. I have 250+ diskspace sensors of which I want to change the limits. Hell of a job to do one by one.

As a workaround for new devices I have created several device templates from existing devices with all the limits in place and autodiscovered the new devices based on that template. This way the default sensor settings are copied.

Hope to see the multi channel edit option soon!

Any word on releasedate?

Sander

Created on Mar 30, 2010 2:41:22 PM

Votes:

I have had the same problem editing large amounts of sensors. I needed to set up warning and error limits on traffic in, traffic out, discards in, discards out, errors in and errors out for a large amount of traffic sensors.

My solution was to write a short script/macro using autohotkey that quickly entered the required details into each channel (tab x 8, value, tab, value ect…). It’s still a little time consuming but much quicker than manually doing it.

I would also like to express my interest in some sort of mass sensor channel editing feature. Without it I really don't see how channel limits are manageable on a large scale(besides from using work arounds).

Created on Oct 29, 2010 3:43:06 AM

Votes:

We still have it on our task-list to implement and then enable a "Multi-Edit" for Channels. We haven't forgotten this. This will come. Please bear with us.

Created on Oct 29, 2010 3:46:01 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any update on this? I want to make changes on the Days Ago channel for Last Windows Update to enable the limits.

Thanks

Created on Mar 15, 2011 5:02:38 PM

Votes:

The situation is still the same, it's currently planned for PRTG 9 this year.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 5:06:00 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any updates, PRTG 9 is now available?

Created on Sep 27, 2011 9:52:35 AM

Votes:

Yes PRTG 9 is available for download.

Created on Sep 27, 2011 1:24:20 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on this ?

Created on Jul 4, 2012 2:39:45 PM

Votes:

Well, have you tried the Multi-Channel-Edit since PRTG 9?

Created on Jul 4, 2012 4:27:40 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, that helps, but I still have to change every individual sensor.

I want to show the free disk space of my drives (WMI Volume) in Mbyte, use a default warning and error limit. I can multi edit the channels, but then I have to edit every sensor to show Mbytes and not "Free space %".

But creating a default sensor still isn't possible?

Created on Jul 5, 2012 7:24:15 AM

Votes:

Creating a "default sensor" is possible for sensors added by the Auto-Discovery using Device Templates.

Created on Jul 5, 2012 9:35:14 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Could we do this with an append query on the back end database?

Created on Nov 10, 2012 2:37:24 AM

Votes:

What precisely do you mean, please?

Created on Nov 12, 2012 10:23:14 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

HI,

I mean login to the backend database with a CLI or GUI client. Query the database to get my channels that I want to look at and apply an Append query across that dataset updating all of the channel records in the query.

I would need access to login directly to the backend database.

Created on Nov 15, 2012 9:19:31 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid it isn't possible to access the backend database except through the software itself.

Created on Nov 19, 2012 12:20:11 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Me too!

Here is the question I prepared before I found this thread:

When I am creating SNMP traffic sensors on a device, is there any way I can pre-set the parameters of the channels. For example, on my 1 Gbps interfaces, I like to set the traffic in/out warning limit at 600 Mbps. If I have 48 interfaces on the device, it is tedious to go round each one in turn to set these warning limits.

Alternatively, is it possible to set warning limits on channels of several sensors at the same time?

Thanks.

Created on Sep 5, 2013 12:06:09 PM

Votes:

I'm afraid pre-setting limits is not possible (except, in some cases, via templates). However, using the channel multi-edit function you can already set channel limits for multiple sensors simultaneously.

Created on Sep 5, 2013 2:42:37 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

This is a serious flaw in the product. It is very likely that Monitoring thresholds (Channel Limits) may need to be adjusted on a mass scale, editing each individual channel manually is not flexible and is incredibly time consuming. Being able to mass edit channel limits at a group level or Globally should be at the top of your feature enhancement list. I am Very disappointed.

Created on Apr 29, 2015 2:07:28 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The latest reply is over a year old :) Meanwhile, you're able to set limits for multiple sensors at once via multi edit. To do so, proceed with the following steps:

1. Go to Sensors > By Type > [A-Z]
  2. Select the sensor type you want to modify
  3. Select them all by ticking the checkbox in the top right corner of the table
  4. Click the small wrench icon that appeared and go to the channel tab.
  5. Now select the channel you want to modify and edit the limit settings accordingly

To only get sensors within a certain group, you have to use tags. Add the groups name as tag to the group and then filter the table with it (enter it in the "Tagged with" field). Then only sensors of the type within this group will be shown.

Created on Apr 29, 2015 7:53:33 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 29, 2015 7:57:08 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

when I try this on I-nodes I cant select all of them becouse I have there only first chanel time of error.

Created on Mar 10, 2017 11:07:07 AM

Votes:

This means they all have different channels and multi edit breaks it down to the least common denominator, which is downtime :/

Created on Mar 10, 2017 11:22:53 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.