What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor PRI interfaces on a Cisco router

Votes:

I would like monitor my voice PRIs on a Cisco 2800 series router. What MIBs are required?

cisco router voice

Created on Dec 15, 2011 9:03:24 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello rharris,
thank you for your reply.

I went trough the reply from Brandon Stanley. While the oidlib he created is no longer available, the MIB's are still available here:

The archive includes the aforementioned CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB, IF-MIB and DS1-MIB. You'll have to extract the g-zip first, then the tar file. 7-Zip can handle that.

And here's a guide for importing the MIB(s):

This should get you sorted, it's not as difficult as it may sound. Also, here you can find a ready-to-use lookup file for the dsx1LineStatus, which looks identical to the states mentioned earlier by Brandon:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 9, 2018 8:07:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 9, 2018 8:09:11 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

please see if the following does help:

best regards

Created on Dec 16, 2011 9:25:58 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 9, 2018 7:57:31 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

I spent a lot of time figuring this out so its only decent to pass on the knowledge

First you need to download the MIB Importer and read how to use it...

Then gather MIBS from (here) - You-ll need a bunch.. at the least IF-MIB, DS1-MIB and CISCO-POP-MIB... I used all v2 and ciscos web site can show you the dependancies if you dont want to figure it out by trial and error: link

When importing this using the tool you will most likely need many of the other MIBs to make it through, sometimes you have to change the name of the MIB files and sometimes you have to actually go in and make syntax corrections to the mib file...

If successful you will get an OIDLIB file that you must place in the following directory:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\snmplibs\

Now when you add a sensor you will pick the "SNMP Library sensor" and you will have to then pick the OIDLIB file from a list that you created in the previous step.

For your convenience I uploaded the OIDLIB files I created for CallManager Express, Unity Express, and ISDN at the following link, use them at your own risk:

When scanning you will have to sort through tons of worthless OIDs... I used the following:

• Total Active B channels
    • CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB/cpmds0usage/cpm active ds0s
  • Active B Channels on s0/0/0
    • CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB/cpmds1ds0usage: 0.0/cpmds1active ds0s : 0.0
  • Active B Channels on s0/0/1
    • CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB/cpmds1ds0usage: 0.1/cpmds1active ds0s : 0.1
  • Line Status on s0/0/0 (Returns an Integer...See table below for meaning of values)
    • DS1-MIB/dsx1config: 10/ dsx1line status

Meaning of Values:

The various bit positions are:
      1     dsx1NoAlarm           No alarm present
      2     dsx1RcvFarEndLOF      Far end LOF (a.k.a., Yellow Alarm)
      4     dsx1XmtFarEndLOF      Near end sending LOF Indication
      8     dsx1RcvAIS            Far end sending AIS
     16     dsx1XmtAIS            Near end sending AIS
     32     dsx1LossOfFrame       Near end LOF (a.k.a., Red Alarm)
     64     dsx1LossOfSignal      Near end Loss Of Signal
    128     dsx1LoopbackState     Near end is looped
    256     dsx1T16AIS            E1 TS16 AIS
    512     dsx1RcvFarEndLOMF     Far End Sending TS16 LOMF
   1024     dsx1XmtFarEndLOMF     Near End Sending TS16 LOMF
   2048     dsx1RcvTestCode       Near End detects a test code
   4096     dsx1OtherFailure      any line status not defined here
   8192     dsx1UnavailSigState   Near End in Unavailable Signal State
  16384     dsx1NetEquipOOS       Carrier Equipment Out of Service
  32768     dsx1RcvPayloadAIS     DS2 Payload AIS
  65536     dsx1Ds2PerfThreshold  DS2 Performance Threshold Exceeded

Good Luck

Created on Feb 5, 2012 12:39:55 PM

Last change on Aug 14, 2018 11:21:20 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

A bit late to the party on this one, but do you by chance still have the OIDLIB file you created?

Created on Jan 22, 2014 2:49:30 PM

Votes:

Any chance you could post the OIDLIB file?

Seems like it took a fair bit to get the MIB's sorted out.

Created on Jul 6, 2018 2:50:21 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello rharris,
thank you for your reply.

I went trough the reply from Brandon Stanley. While the oidlib he created is no longer available, the MIB's are still available here:

The archive includes the aforementioned CISCO-POP-MGMT-MIB, IF-MIB and DS1-MIB. You'll have to extract the g-zip first, then the tar file. 7-Zip can handle that.

And here's a guide for importing the MIB(s):

This should get you sorted, it's not as difficult as it may sound. Also, here you can find a ready-to-use lookup file for the dsx1LineStatus, which looks identical to the states mentioned earlier by Brandon:

Best Regards,

Created on Jul 9, 2018 8:07:41 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 9, 2018 8:09:11 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

As a word of caution to anyone trying this, not all devices appear to support this. This is what we've found out after following-up with a customer.

There are cases were devices report completely inexplicable values for cpmActiveDS0s or cpmDS1ActiveDS0s:

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.4.0 = "1464294" [ASN_UNSIGNED]

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.9.1.3.0.0 = "1065029" [ASN_UNSIGNED]
1.3.6.1.4.1.9.10.19.1.1.9.1.3.0.1 = "64296" [ASN_UNSIGNED]

Otherwise, all other reported values are mostly 0. Except for the In/Out packets and In/Out Octets. It has been suggested that any ISR won't provide meaningful readings. The suggested solution is to use the EXPRESSION-MIB to have the device provide a "virtual" OID with this specific count/value. Please refer to:

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 16, 2018 11:16:21 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.