What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Link another map as a map object

Votes:

Hi there,

we've created several maps which are working great. We also created an overall map (eg. global network), showing the several maps as sub-entities (eg. country network). On the global map, we could only link the whole group of country sensors today. Is there any way we can link to the country map as a map object for the global map? (eg. from the global map, we click on the country icon, then it takes us to the country map, instead of showing immediately all the sensors for that country).

Thank you! Julia

link map object

Created on Nov 21, 2011 4:34:40 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The option Aurelio referred to is actually on the right hand side of the Map Designer. It's called External Link, just use the Select Object-Button right next to it (when having a map-object selected).

Created on Nov 22, 2011 5:21:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 22, 2011 5:21:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

12 Replies

Votes:

hllo, please update to latest version

Improved: [Maps] All map objects can now have an associated link, you can either enter an external link or select a device tree object or a another map as link

https://www.paessler.com/prtg/prtg9history

Created on Nov 21, 2011 7:30:22 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi I've upgraded it to v9 in a test environment but don't seem to see the option to add a map.

Under the map designer, left side bar only shows the the device trees, which I could drag them to the map icons (nice), but when I tried to search for a map name, the screen comes out with "preparing search...", and it hangs there. Looks like this is still not very mature yet?

Thanks Julia

Created on Nov 22, 2011 4:36:20 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The option Aurelio referred to is actually on the right hand side of the Map Designer. It's called External Link, just use the Select Object-Button right next to it (when having a map-object selected).

Created on Nov 22, 2011 5:21:32 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Nov 22, 2011 5:21:51 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I'm running 16.3.24.4979 and I'm trying to do just this. I select the map object that I want the external link to point to, but when I click the object on the map it just keeps opening the "edit channel" dialogue. What am I missing?

Thanks, Justin

Created on Oct 7, 2016 4:25:11 PM

Votes:

Justin, can you please send us some screenshots showing what exactly you have set up there? Thank you!

Created on Oct 10, 2016 7:57:27 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sure, I have a Business Process sensor and I put the channel gauge for that sensor on the map, with the external link set to another map:

Screenshot

Thanks, Justin

Created on Oct 10, 2016 5:52:55 PM

Votes:

That does look correctly set. I've just tried it with a current version here though. So I have to ask you, does it persist after updating to the latest PRTG Version (16.3.27)?

Created on Oct 11, 2016 11:19:16 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

I upgraded to 16.4.27.6719 and it is working now, thanks!

-Justin

Created on Oct 11, 2016 4:14:40 PM

Votes:

Hello! About the "External Link" map function! As far as i understand I can link External object only to one map object. For example i can create a Router and link something to it, but can i link something to object part? Fo example i have sunburst view and i want to link something to Sun ray. Is it possible?

Created on Sep 26, 2018 10:41:02 AM

Votes:

Vasiliy, I'm afraid indeed the "External Link" will work on the entire map object not parts of it. Sorry.

Created on Sep 26, 2018 2:28:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, Do you know how to change the color of the states ? I would like to have a darker green for the up state but i dont know how to do this in version 23.

thanks!

Created on Apr 21, 2023 9:19:43 AM

Votes:

@gregoier,

Unfortunately, this is not possible as it would require a lot of changes in different CSS files. Additionally, you would have to make these changes for every map object.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 25, 2023 1:56:10 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Last change on Apr 25, 2023 1:56:24 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.