What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor folder for new files.

Votes:

I would like to monitor a folder, in this folder are files. If the newest file is older then 12 hours trigger alert. I suppose this can be done with the "file sensor" but im not able to figure it out.

Can some one tell me how, please?

files monitor unc

Created on Nov 2, 2011 12:45:00 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Yes, you have to create a file sensor.

If it points to a network drive, it is necessary to give the correct credentials for this operation. Therefore navigate to Settings of the parent device or group and insert Credentials for Windows Systems.

For further information please have a look at our manual:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg9/file_sensor.htm

Created on Nov 7, 2011 3:56:15 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I did that, but am not able to figure out how to trigger a notification if the newest file is older than 12 hours. I think it should be configured in the "settings" tab in some way but don't know how.

Help will be appreciated Thanks in advance!

Created on Nov 11, 2011 7:27:43 AM

Votes:

hallo,

in the sensor go to the channels tab, select the channel in question and then enable limits for the channel.

Enter your limits. Now the sensor will go into error or warning state if one of the limits you entered is reached.

Limits need to entered in seconds.

You can now add a state trigger in the notifications tab of the sensor.

Created on Nov 14, 2011 6:32:41 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Created a file sensor. On the "channels" tab, "Select channel" is on "Last modified", "Limits" is on "Enable Limits" with "Upper Error Limit" on 43200sec (12 hours). Is this correct?

Created on Nov 15, 2011 8:47:53 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.