What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Another request for remote probe on Linux

Votes:

Has Paessler development team made any progress on building a remote probe agent that will run, either natively or in emulation, in Linux?

Besides the remote probe compatibility with Linux, does Paessler have any plans to develop a version of PRTG for Linux? That would be most excellent.

I am planning to deploy some remote probes into Amazon EC2 to gain some better visibility of public facing web applications than what we can see from our internal network.

I really dislike the idea of having a standalone Windows server instance sitting out in the cloud doing who knows what. I'm sure after 10 days of not logging in, I will be prompted to download the latest Adobe flash update, Adobe reader update, Java JRE Update # 78. I can deploy a Linux distribution with less than 512MB disk space and no desktop.

Without support for probes and core services on Linux hosts, I give Paessler an 8 out of 10.

compatibility linux system-requirements

Created on Oct 9, 2011 3:58:14 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

There are plans for a Linux probe, but since the program code of Core and Probe are tightly webbed, it's is a complex tasks. We do not expect to be ready with this soon.

We are using EC2 and many other public clouds as remote probes for many production and test systems running PRTG and that works great!

Created on Oct 10, 2011 10:46:33 AM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 12:58:07 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Any news on the plans for a linux probe?

Created on Aug 16, 2012 11:50:14 AM

Votes:

Hi,
I'm afraid the Linux Probe is still only in planning state. Best regards

Created on Aug 16, 2012 1:48:59 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.