What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor (ERROR: 80041010)

Votes:

When adding a sensor to device named: VM1 VM OS: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 64-Bit

I get this error: 80041010: The specified class is not valid.

I have looked at your KB of the WMI, and followed everything. Still no luck, I can add WMI for free disk space it works, but the HYPER-V VM SENSOR does not.

hyper-v prtg virtual-machine wmi

Created on Sep 20, 2011 5:34:12 AM

10 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

have you tried rebuilding the WMI Classes on the Hyper-V-Host?

best regards.

Created on Sep 20, 2011 1:03:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am having this problem

Instance(s) not found: "Win32_PerfRawData_StorageStats_HyperVVirtualStorageDevice\servername.test.local"

When I am trying to monitor Hyper-V Virtual Storage Devices. These worked fine before upgrading to v9. This doesn't work across all of the Hyper-V servers, I have tried the steps in repairing the WMI, and nothing seems to work. As with the original poster I can manually add the a custom WMI sensor and that works.

Created on Sep 20, 2011 6:58:39 PM

Votes:

Hi,

Yes, I'm still having an issue. Not sure what it could be, but i'm adding the VM to prtg and it adds, and I can wmi sensor ie FREE DISK SPACE it works

only the hyper-v virtual machine sensors does not as I have not tried other sensors.

Created on Sep 21, 2011 4:05:27 AM

Votes:

close thread, fixed issue we are okay thank you very much

Created on Sep 21, 2011 4:28:25 AM

Votes:

Please mention how you fixed the issue, that really might help other users as well.

Created on Sep 21, 2011 11:15:31 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well we didn't really have a fix, it still gives that error when trying to add anything Hyper-v Vritual disk or vm

80041010: The specified class is not valid.

So we just ignored and moved to sensors that added and for us we needed freediskspace, cpu ...

We even loaded brand new VM with windows 2008 r2 sp1 x64 and the VM sensors are only ones that don't work.

I think it is something with the prtg side, because all WMI/SNMP sensors work. Even adding Hyper-v Host to main hyper server works..

Created on Sep 21, 2011 3:08:45 PM

Last change on Sep 22, 2011 12:11:22 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I contacted Paessler support 2 days ago and got a reply yesterday that they were going to release an update to fix the problem. I ran the update today and the sensors are working just fine!

Created on Sep 22, 2011 7:29:16 PM

Votes:

No, does not even work with release 9.1.0.1548.

I can add the sensors Hyper-V Host Server, Virtual Network Adapter and Virtual Storage Device without any errors but the Hyper-V Virtual Machine still produces the error "80041010: The specified class is not valid."

Created on Sep 26, 2011 12:09:47 PM

Votes:

Yup same error, still getting that when adding a Virtual component. IT IS NOT THE WMI so don't go messing with your WMI anyone, because all other WMI components work fine..

PRTG Fix this RIGHT NOW

Created on Sep 28, 2011 4:51:25 PM

Votes:

Please try again with version 9.1.1.1620 or higher. See PRTG Network Monitor 9 Version History for more information.

Created on Sep 29, 2011 9:18:14 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.