What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I get a netflow sensor with custom channels to create the channels even with no data present

Votes:

I am currently trying to create an aggregate sensor (sensor factory sensor) between two netflow sensors. One sensor is monitoring data from an active link and the other a passive backup link. I want to ensure that should the link failover I can capture all data in one snesor.

The problem with this is that the passive link is not passing any data relevant to the custom channels and so it will not generate the channels on the sensor. This causes the following errors to occue on the aggregate: Could not calculate channel "BEN" (1): Channel 1 not found in sensor "NetFlow By Customer BGP-R2" (7186). Could not calculate channel "BTS" (2): Channel 2 not found in sensor "NetFlow By Customer BGP-R2" (7186). Could not calculate channel "BFR" (3): Channel 3 not found in sensor "NetFlow By Customer BGP-R2" (7186).

etc. Is there a way to correct this?

custom-sensor netflow prtg sensor-factory xflow

Created on Mar 11, 2010 7:12:14 PM

Last change on Mar 12, 2010 10:46:57 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Ted,

though there is no option in the PRTG Network Monitor in the moment to add the channels 'in the first place', you could try to use one of our freeware network diagnosis tools. The Netflow Generator allows to simulate a flowing traffic from a certain source to a certain destination. You could use it just for a short moment, to have a little bit of traffic on each channel for the Netflow Sensor. Once traffic has flown, the channels will of course be kept, even if there is no traffic monitored in the 'next time'.

Unfortunately, the Netflow Generator only supports Netflow v5.

Best Regards.

Created on Mar 12, 2010 10:04:17 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 12, 2010 11:54:43 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

The netflow generator does not allow the source of the flow to be added. Since the sensor can not accept traffic from more than one IP how can I simulate the netflow source properly?

Created on Mar 12, 2010 4:53:47 PM

Votes:

If you have several Netflow 5 Sensors, you probably would have to pause them all but one and then use the Netflow Generator. As the Netflow v5 Sensors have no setting regarding the flow sending IP, it shouldn't be a problem that the Generator sends them via 127.0.0.1 for example.

Created on Mar 16, 2010 4:48:52 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.