What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why can't I see Linux disks through SNMP

Votes:

I am trying to convert from Solarwinds NPM to PRTG. I have snmpd configured on my RHEL AS3 boxes. When I try to add the "SNMP Linux Disk Free" sensor to my host I don't see anything available to monitor. In Solarwinds I can monitor / , /boot , etc.... I assume that it is using the Host Resources MIB. When I import that mib into PRTG as a library I can see hrStorageUsed etc... but I don't want to have to do a sensor factory sensor for every disk on every linux server. Is there something I am missing?

disk free linux snmp

Created on Mar 14, 2011 7:23:04 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

In order to monitor SNMP-based Disk Space sensors you require entries similar to the one listed below in the /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf file:

# disk PATH [MIN=DEFDISKMINIMUMSPACE]
#
# PATH:  mount path to the disk in question.
# MIN:  Disks with space below this value will have the Mib's errorFlag set.
#        Default value = DEFDISKMINIMUMSPACE.

# Check the / partition and make sure it contains at least 10 megs.

disk / 10000

Extracted from the snmpd.conf:

Disk Usage Monitoring:

This requires that the agent was built with support for the ucd-snmp/disk module (which is included as part of the default build configuration).

disk PATH [ MINSPACE | MINPERCENT% ] monitors the disk mounted at PATH for available disk space.

Created on Mar 15, 2011 3:32:27 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Last change on Mar 15, 2011 3:33:57 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.