What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor UDP Port

Votes:

Our VPN (Mobility XE) uses UDP 5008 & 5009 to connect clients from the outside. I was trying to configure a PRTG probe to use a port sensor to connect to it, I just want to know that it is alive I don't need to login or anything. Anyway it fails because it is trying to connect to TCP/5008.

Is there a way to specify a UDP port?

mobility portsensor udp

Created on Feb 18, 2011 7:44:28 PM

10 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

I am sorry, the Port Sensor can only monitor TCP connections. Please consider writing your own script to monitor a UDP port, reporting the response time to PRTG. For more information on custom EXE/Script sensors, please see the user manual. For detailed information, see PRTG Manual: Custom Sensors.

Created on Feb 21, 2011 10:49:28 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jul 18, 2018 12:52:07 PM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this still accurate? Only way to monitor UDP ports is to use a custom script.

Created on Dec 12, 2014 8:16:47 PM

Votes:

Still accurate, yes.

Created on Dec 15, 2014 10:21:32 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Will Paessler create a sensor than can monitor a UDP port? We would like to monitor our multiple tftp ports.

Created on Jun 10, 2015 4:51:18 PM

Votes:

Probably not. As mentioned, the script sensors are the way to go here. Sorry!

Created on Jun 11, 2015 6:31:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is this still accurate? Port-Sensor only scans TCP Ports? Where can I open an feature request for that to change?

Created on Mar 31, 2020 6:08:30 AM

Votes:

Apparently the marketing dept can do UDP port monitoring.

https://www.paessler.com/snmp-port-analyzer

SNMP TRAFFIC SENSORS 'PRTG Network Monitor can help solve all of these issues for you. Our SNMP Traffic Sensors will monitor your overall device, plus each individual port so you get the detailed overall picture. In addition, PRTG Network Monitor can send you notifications so you know if your TCP/IP and <b>UDP</b> ports are available or not.'

https://www.paessler.com/port_monitoring 'PRTG monitors connections using <b>UDP</b> and TCP protocols'

I have not seen the tech dept implement it.

Traffic sensor does not seem to have any port options, and port sensor only does TCP.

Created on Nov 24, 2020 11:42:31 PM

Votes:

They were a bit ahead of technology here, point taken. We'll have it corrected accordingly. Thanks for the headsup!

Created on Nov 25, 2020 11:19:20 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Where can we put in a feature request? The website still says UDP, but the port sensor doesn't support it. Hard to believe it can't be updated to support UDP. I want to monitor NTP to make sure it stays up (UDP/123), but can't do it with the port sensor.

Maybe rename the sensor to 'TCP Port' Sensor?

Created on Feb 14, 2022 9:30:42 PM

Votes:

Hi there, feature requests can be created according to the steps listed here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245-how-can-i-propose-new-features-or-sensors-for-prtg

Created on Feb 16, 2022 9:49:25 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.