What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can manage OID tables?

Votes:

I don't find any snmp sensor that index automaticaly every entry of an OID Table (integer and string). E.g.: table of disk partitions (description, %usage, total MByte, etc..) .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq.cpqHostOs.cpqHoComponent.cpqHoFileSys.cpqHoFileSysTable

Any suggestion other than insert manually tons of SNMP custom sensor? Also sensor factory is not so flexible to allow combination of channels of integer and channels with string values.

Anything, do you thing to implement snmp-table sensor?

Always thanks for your fast and great support!

sensor snmp snmp-custom-table table

Created on Dec 30, 2010 10:47:23 AM

Last change on Mar 14, 2016 1:53:48 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Good news here! We just released a new Preview version which includes the SNMP Custom Table BETA sensor. With that said, this sensor will be part of the PRTG Stable version 15.x.18.x. Thank you for your patience and enjoy the new sensor!

Best regards from Nuremberg

Created on Jul 8, 2015 5:19:59 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

23 Replies

Votes:

We have an improved SNMP-functionality on the list of the things which will be improved, but I can't tell you when it will be ready.

Created on Dec 30, 2010 2:13:57 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

+1 its on my whish list too

Created on Apr 13, 2011 9:00:50 AM

Votes:

1.5 years later this still doesn't work.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 9:23:42 AM

Votes:

We are still working on this. Seeing as there have been only 2 requests so far, and none within the last year, it would seem this is not precisely such a sought after feature and, as such, other functions have been granted higher priority. Nonetheless, this is still on our radar. Please bear with us.

Created on Mar 28, 2012 9:33:45 AM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

not working with oid tables really limits what you can query from an snmp workstation. that you don't see many user requests in this forum could be an indicator of the usefulness of this forum. that said, i'd like to be able to work with all types of uid's that any snmp workstation can provide. sadly with prtg, this is not the case. my service contract renewal is coming up... let's see you insult another one of your customers.

Created on May 2, 2012 1:56:14 PM

Votes:

As mentioned, we still have this on our list but other functions have been granted higher priority.

A little detail as to customer requests: most of them are received via our ticketing system, not via the forum (which is intended mainly as a self-help and freeware user support platform). The request for such a feature, although it has been placed more than just the two (now three) times posted herein, other requests have been received in more copious quantities, rendering them more relevant for timely implementation. You may, of course, also consider this a request to all people who would like to see this functionality implemented to report to [email protected], seeing as this would increase the pace of implementation.

Created on May 2, 2012 2:18:53 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

I did not realize that someone has to vote for wishes... +1 for this from my side too... (Would love to be able to consolidate Client types from an Aruba Wireless LAN Controller...)

Created on Jun 25, 2012 2:30:07 PM

Votes:

Please add me as well to this request. I will open a ticket officially. Any updates as to when this is feature is planed to be delivered?

Created on Sep 14, 2012 1:41:30 PM

Votes:

This features would be great !

Created on Sep 21, 2012 6:51:54 AM

Votes:

I opened a case for this and here was the response: "I am very sorry, but there is no ETA set for such a SNMP Feature, it is on the wishlist though".

Created on Sep 25, 2012 12:32:59 PM

Votes:

I really need this feature to be implemented. At least the option to check if any of the elements is non-zero. For example if any of the interfaces is in errDisable state.

Created on Mar 3, 2014 1:57:40 PM

Votes:

Add another vote for this feature.

Created on May 7, 2014 8:29:05 PM

Votes:

Hi Paessler guys! any news about managing OID tables?

Now I've to proceed creating a lot of custom sensors per every table.. You should think to a sensor who create automatically a number of channels equal to the number of OID objects in table..

Comparing PRTG to other big competitors like SolarWind Orion, this feature is the only one in which PRTG has lower value. When you finally implement OID tables, PRTG will be absolutely the best!

Thanks, Gianluca

Created on Dec 2, 2014 9:26:59 AM

Votes:

Add me to the list of people who want this feature.

Created on Dec 16, 2014 1:04:34 PM

Votes:

Please, please, PLEASE make this available soon. There is info within SNMP that comes in only Table form. I need to parse these. I came from SolarWinds Orion and purchased the unlimited license for the state. I need to be able to utilize this in order to justify my conversion. Otherwise, when certain things "go out", with no warning, all I can do is tell my site admins is that it is a limitation of the new software.... Not Good!

Created on Feb 5, 2015 7:38:14 PM

Votes:

Hello Michael,

The manage OID tables Feature is still on our wishlist, but I'm afraid I cannot give you an exact release-date/version in the moment.

Created on Feb 9, 2015 6:22:05 AM by  [email protected]

Votes:

Definitely a MUST, no way to monitor Wireless networks without support for OID tables

Created on Mar 4, 2015 12:27:13 PM

Votes:

I completely agree that the lack of snmp table management is a serious shortcoming. After extensive evaluation of multiple monitoring applications, PRTG was the clear winner until we had to use snmp tables. I had to settle for a competitor charging over 5 times the cost of PRTG. Our total expense was over $28,000 for 3 sets of "limited" licenses. I could never fully recommend PRTG as an enterprise level monitoring application until snmp tables are supported.

Created on Apr 4, 2015 12:40:46 PM

Votes:

@jessey,joshv Thanks for your input! Consider your voices counted.

Created on Apr 6, 2015 9:21:04 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow, pretty old question here.

In any case, I too would like to express interest in this feature.

Created on Jul 7, 2015 9:25:49 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Good news here! We just released a new Preview version which includes the SNMP Custom Table BETA sensor. With that said, this sensor will be part of the PRTG Stable version 15.x.18.x. Thank you for your patience and enjoy the new sensor!

Best regards from Nuremberg

Created on Jul 8, 2015 5:19:59 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I really appreciate this sensor. For the first time, there's a logical way to display SNMP tables. However, since the sensor can only be edited when it is first created, it's very cumbersome to use. Can this sensor be updated to allow definition changes after the fact?

Also, have you considered updating the MIB importer to take advantage of this sensor type? It would be very welcome to be able to use the tool to create lookups automatically.

Created on Apr 11, 2016 6:22:38 PM

Votes:

Hi jsanders,

thanks for using our SNMP Custom Table Sensor. The OID can be changed after sensor creation. Other settings, however are read only. We do this to make sure that PRTG's data stays consistent. That is why, for example, you cannot change the "Value Type" once the sensor is created. I'm afraid, but you have to create a new sensor in this case.

Currently, there are no plans to update the MIB importer.

Created on Apr 15, 2016 1:22:48 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.