What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Does PRTG Support AUTH/PRIV in SNMP3

Votes:

Hi,

I'm required by my auditors to enable SNMP V3 AUTH & PRIV on all network devices, while at the moment I'm using only SNMP V3, would it be possible and how can I do this, since I could not find any tab relating to such option.

Thank you

auth priv snmp v3

Created on Dec 29, 2010 8:01:55 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG currently supports AES for SNMP V3 (since version 13.2.3(April 2013)), but AES256 and AES192 is still not supported in the current release (15.3.19). We can't confirm that this will be supported anytime soon.

Best Regards,

Created on Sep 28, 2015 1:22:56 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 25, 2016 9:19:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

6 Replies

Votes:

hallo,

PRTG only supports MD5 and SHA authentication for SNMP V3 at the moment, sorry.

Created on Dec 29, 2010 9:29:02 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

AuthPriv's components are Authentication (the Auth) and Encryption (the Priv). Auth options for the SNMPv3 standard are MD5 and SHA where Priv options for SNMPv3 are DES, 3DES, AES128, AES192, AES256.

Even though the above support user indicates that MD5 and SHA are all that is currently supported (which would make it authNoPriv), DES is definitely supported for encryption. All you need to do is select SNMPv3, select MD5 or SHA authentication, enter the user, enter the password (MD5 or SHA authentication password), and enter the data encryption key (DES encryption password) and your sensors should work without issues.

I am currently running 700 SNMPv3 AuthPriv sensors using MD5/DES with no issues using the latest build of PRTG 8.

Created on Dec 29, 2010 11:42:22 PM

Votes:

I've tried to use AES-256 encryption with Cisco switches but without success. AES-128 works fine.

Created on Jan 8, 2015 9:46:02 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

PRTG currently supports AES for SNMP V3 (since version 13.2.3(April 2013)), but AES256 and AES192 is still not supported in the current release (15.3.19). We can't confirm that this will be supported anytime soon.

Best Regards,

Created on Sep 28, 2015 1:22:56 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Oct 25, 2016 9:19:57 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Is PRTG going to support SHA-256 and AES-256 in the latest version?

Created on Nov 21, 2017 2:10:03 AM

Votes:

It's still not in our plans, essentially because as far as we now there's no RFC for these key lengths for SNMP V3, which also means that not every device out there supports these key lengths.

The majority of all the SNMP implementations still rely on SNMP V2c or V1, which is usually fine if you're sending SNMP within a management network or private LAN, an even in those cases using SNMP V3 with 128 bits which should provide more than enough security for the time being.

Most of the data being transferred over SNMP is not sensitive (Traffic Counters, Disk Usage Metric, etc). Apart from sensitive interface names the data is not sensitive. And when using a "Read-Only" user or community, even if the credentials where compromised one would still not be able to cause any damage with that information.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 21, 2017 7:20:00 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Nov 21, 2017 7:22:04 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.