What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Factory Error: Multiplication or division of two delta channels

Votes:

I'm trying to get an average number of milliseconds per request to a web service. I have a SNMP Counter32 value for RequestCount and TotalRequestTime that get updated by the application. If I could use two delta counter sensors and a factory to divide the values that would give me the number I want, why won't PRTG allow it?

prtg sensor-factory snmp

Created on Nov 6, 2010 12:21:11 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

since the moments of data gathering are not exactly the same for both sensors you can not really use them.

Depending on the situation you can get usable values, but they could be absolutely unusable as well.

That is why this is not implemented in the factory sensors.

Created on Nov 9, 2010 9:50:27 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, is there any way around this problem ? i.e. is there any way to divide the results of two delta sensors ?

Created on Mar 1, 2017 5:14:14 PM

Votes:

Hello fran1942, thank you for your KB-Post.

This is still not possible in PRTG, and due to the complexity there are no plans to change this behavior anytime soon. However, you could still create your custom solution to the problem. Please take a look at the following KB-Post:

You could use that "base code" but modify the script to your requirements. Perform the difference calculation in your code and then send only the result to PRTG, which will graph and display the readings and can be used for alerts.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Mar 2, 2017 6:34:35 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.