What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring Switches

Votes:

I am using PRTG v8 and PRTG Traffic Grapher to monitor DELL switches in my office. A number of my switch ports go up and down all day. They are down for only a few seconds according to the email trail but it offers concern to me that there may be a larger underlying problem in my network.

State: DOWN Error: No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) Group: Core Switch

Sensor: Port 650 (802.1Q VLAN) on Core Switch (10.1.100.100)

Current Total: 0 kbit/second Date: 10/22/2010 11:53:42 AM

Is there a possibility that this error not caused by PRTG having issues with communication? Or can I be confident that there is a problem that I need to resolve.

Seems to be random ports that are failing but failing on a regular basis.

Thanks for your help with this.

Tristan

fail prtg-traffic-grapher switch

Created on Oct 22, 2010 4:05:29 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Tristan,

where do you see these errors? In PRTG 6 or PRTG 8? Or both? Of course the issue might be something blocking the communication as mentioned in the error-message itself (firewalls, routing) or it may be also the individual target device, not being able to respond (in time). There you could try enabling (if not already enabled) the 'Retry'-Option (SNMP Compatibility Options) or try a higher SNMP Timeout.

Best Regards.

Created on Oct 25, 2010 12:14:34 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I agree, try a higher SNMP Timeout to 30 AND it will work!

Created on Jul 8, 2016 7:21:07 PM

Votes:

This worked for us..

1) Try a higher SNMP Timeout to 30 AND it will work! 2) If is a Windows OS check the services contacting the OIDs (i.e. HP's Insight Manager or Dell's Open Manage).

Cheers.

Created on Jul 8, 2016 7:23:10 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.